Start your half day trip from Barcelona in a comfortable bus towards the mountain of Montserrat which rises majestically up to 4,051 feet (1,236 meter).
MONTSERRAT – WITH COG-WHEEL TRAIN
This is a very cool afternoon tour to the incredible Montserrat mountain. You need to see that mountain!
DURATION: 4 & 1/2 hrs (afternoon tour)
SPANISH / ENGLISH
Departure time: 3:00 pm
Visit the majestic Montserrat mountain
Visit the Royal Basilica founded in 1025.
Climb to Montserrat with the Cog – Wheel Train
Montserrat is a multi-peaked rocky range formed of sedimentary rocks shaped by the wind and rain. The popular imagination has seen human and animal shapes in some of these peaks, giving them names and inventing legends to explain their fantastic origins. This trip to Montserrat will give you the opportunity to enjoy the wonderful and breathe taking views of the Montserrat Mountain, one of nature’s special creations.
You will go up to Montserrat with the Cog – Wheel Train, which leaves you in the middle of the Monastery. It is a 15-minute trip with a privileged and spectacular view of the mountain. The train has panoramic windows which make the actual journey an interesting attraction. The train is air-conditioned and they are completely wheelchair-friendly.
You will visit the Royal Basilica of Montserrat, which holds the famous 12th century Romanesque carving of Verge Moreneta (the Black Madonna). You will be able to see this famous statue of the Black Madonna from a distance. The Benedict sanctuary of Montserrat was founded in 1025 and provides a mystical backdrop for the Virgin of Montserrat, the patron saint of Catalonia who is enshrined in the monastery’s Royal Basilica. The little monastery soon began to receive pilgrims and visitors who contributed to the spread of stories of miracles and wonders performed by the Virgin. Today, Montserrat has been modernized to continue attending the pilgrim needs, one thousand years after it was originally founded.
You will be given some free time to visit the audio visual exhibition about the history and creation of Montserrat. And taste typical liquors of Montserrat.
- Air conditioned motor coach.
- Bilingual guide.
- Taste of 4 typical liquors, handmade by the monks of the monastery.
Entrance to the audio visual exhibition in Montserrat “Espai Audio visual Montserrat”. The exhibition is based on three fundamental pillars: mountain, monastery and sanctuary. It explains to its visitors the history, natural creation and significance of this pilgrimage site.
- Cog – Wheel Train.
What’s not included
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Proper dress code is requested to enter the Basilica at Montserrat. It is not permitted to enter with tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals.
- Please be aware that some walking is included during this tour, please come prepared and we recommend wearing comfortable clothes and shoes.
- At Montserrat there is a mountains climate, depending on the season you will need clothes protecting you from the rain and/or cold.
- This program has the collaboration of Diputació de Barcelona.